Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hat Wara Take 2

OK, so our internet is working again. I am almost afraid to say it. Will it hear me and run away again?? Who knows, but I am going to try to post as much as I can while I still can, so please forgive the excessive blogging.

Here is the process of me learning how to make "hat wara". Basically it is just boiling some leafy greens and sago. Here we go:


Tools needed- a couple of bowls, half a coconut shell for scooping and a "hap diwai" (a piece of wood) for stirring...



You start by making a fire in your "stove". She has two stoves. This is the smaller of the two...



This is the larger one...



Put your pot on the stove...



Put your greens in (and press and stir and press and stir for like an hour)...





Teach your friend how to use your digital camera (after all she is teaching you something- this is an exchange of knowledge and cultures)...




She is a fast learner, much faster than myself...




And now you serve this "soup" to your family and friends and the white lady who you tried to teach, but she dumped half the pot into the fire. Needless to say we were feeding fewer family and friends than previously expected.(it wasn't bad- I have definitely eaten much grosser things than this)...



There. Now you know I did at least try to learn some stuff in bush orientation. And now you have pictures to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment