Monday, October 11, 2010

The Fair

The very first step to becoming a "tribal wife" happened eight years ago at the Mississippi State Fair. It is where JM and I had our first date. Every year that we are here we go to the Fair for a date. We do not actually ride any rides. We eat. We eat a lot. We eat a lot and then we get honey sticks and Malone's taffy to take home and eat even more. It is by far the thing we look forward to most in the year. Birthdays, wedding anniversary,etc.- none of it holds a candle to the Fair Date. I know we are weird. That is why we are married to each other. Our mutual weirdness is what keeps us together. Anyway, we have never taken the kids because we rarely get to go on dates, so we usually reserve this day just for us. This year, however, we felt the need to include our older girls and show them where it all began. We felt the need, and their grandparents gave us money to take them. While we briefly thought about all the delicious food we could buy ourselves with that money, we quickly realized that:
A) Our kids can talk and would say, "What is the fair?" when asked by their granparents.
B) The grandparents would expect pictures.
C) The grandparents are our babysitters.

So, we decided not to be horrible parents and actually take our kids with us. It turned out great anyway because of the colicky newborn I had at home, I could not eat most of the stuff we like to get anyway, so it would not have been as fun for us. I can imagine that eating a polish sausage with peppers and onions would cause my sweet little "Captain Screamo" to simply pack her bags and leave. "I'm going to live with some lady who loves me enough to only eat bread and water", she would say. "Wait, don't go, I AM only eating bread and water for you!!" Sorry, that got a little dramatic. Anyway, so we took the kids. They had a blast, and so did we.

And I did manage to get some of the food I love...


The girls got to pet some smelly animals...





And ride some ponies...




And some other rides...



Including this large scary slide. My fear of heights made my hands sweat just watching my husband take my precious middle child up those stairs. It also made me nauseous. And feel the urgent need for a bathroom. But that may be too much information...


She, however, loved it...





Little fear junkie...



She loved it too, but no one is surprised here. She has always been obsessed with slides...


And I was tempted. Very very tempted...



Overall, a great day...

3 comments:

  1. I love the fair too. But we went to the one in Waco and it scarred me for life. It was unbelievably creepy. :/ The last pic of you girls is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jada talks about Lucy ALL THE TIME. We need to get those two on skype sometime SOON.
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. W's parents take the kids each year, but because he had class this year they let me go as well. I was SO surprised at the difference between the Middle TN State Fair and the ole Alabama National Fair. It was great and well, I did have a polish sausage... and a funnel cake... and a bloomin' onion. Glory to God in the highest for such heavenly food. I may have gained two pounds just now thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete