Thursday, July 12, 2012

Not Kidding



I swear we could have our own reality show.

Here is my husband lying in an "emergency room" bed because he cut off the top half of his thumb using a planer this afternoon.



Here is the Doctor at the hospital here in town checking him out. Notice he took his gloves off for some reason.


But don't worry. He washed his hands.


Here in PNG most people are animists, meaning they believe that spirits or magic forces control every detail of life. And anything and everything you do can upset these spirits and cause them to bring all sorts of trouble on you or your loved ones. Not too long ago I told another Tribal Wife here that we have all been really healthy and hadn't gotten any weird diseases or anything like that. Since that time, 3 of the 5 of us have had malaria. And there have been 2 different stomach viruses to move through our house, along with my husband falling off a ladder and now cutting half of his thumb off. If I didn't know better I would say that I shouldn't have ever said those words- that the actual words are the reason this happened.

But I do know better. I know that we live in a sinful and fallen world and bad things happen. I know that we are flawed mortal people and we do dumb things, and bad things happen. I know that God takes every single moment in our lives very seriously because He loves us and cares for us. I know that He is there with us in all these minor sicknesses and injuries and wants us to see Him, and trust Him, and lean on Him when everything gets to be too much.

You see if I thought my words had anything to do with all my family has been through in the last 3 weeks, then that would be too overwhelming to bear. I would not be able to open my mouth or walk outside my door for fear of what I might bring upon myself. What I do know is that we have a merciful Savior who daily bears our burdens for us and who replaces them with His burden that is easy and light.

Thank you Jesus. Thank you that the weight of our sin is the heaviest burden we could possibly bear, and thank you that we will never again know what it is to carry that weight. Thank you that even though we are outwardly wasting away,  inwardly you renew us with your Presence in our lives daily. Thank you that these momentary troubles are fleeting, and that you use every one to make us more like you. Now please help us as we seek to share You with others who do not know these truths. Who are afraid to walk out of their homes everyday because they don't know that You are greater. Greater than spirits, or words, or anything and everything in this world. Help us Jesus. Help us bring this message to your children that You love and that You created in Your image. Children whose burden You died to carry. Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't realize this had all happened to you in such a short amount of time! (I should check FB more often!). Praying for y'all--strength and healing and rest in the hands of our sweet Savior, who "has borne our griefs and carried our sorrow."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just sat down and read your blog from start to finish. I couldn't stop! My sister recommended it, and I see why.

    I am so grateful to you for the work that you are doing for the people of PNG, and what you are doing through the internet! You are making such a difference, and it isn't easy.

    Thank you for the laughs, and for sharing your life with us. I am subscribing to your blog today and will most definitely include you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete