Friday, February 24, 2012

A little power... a little perspective



 Well, our power situation improved for a few days, and is now back to totally unreliable again. But this post is coming to you from a humbled heart with a MAJOR attitude adjustment. You see, earlier in the week we went to see some friends of ours. Friends who had previously been living with another family. Now for reasons too long and unimportant to write, they are living underneath the house they used to live in. And they have a newborn baby (that is why we went to see them). So while I was complaining about not having power at night, my friends did not even have a roof over their heads. In fact, they have a floor over their heads and a few make shift walls.

They are good people.

They are hard working.

But in this country cost of living is VERY VERY high...especially if you leave the jungle and come live in the city. "This economy" is a tough economy.

But as I thought about how sad I was that there was no longer room for them, their newborn baby, and 2 other children in their house. I thought about a family who also had this problem. "Hey, sorry Mr. Carpenter there is no room for you here, but I have this barn that you and your pregnant wife can stay in." And the Savior of the world was born. I think about how much this story can relate to this family. This family whose beliefs are mostly based on works and good deeds, not on a Savior who made himself just like them in order to show them how much His Father loves them.

We hear a lot today about being "relevant" in the Christian world. In order to do our jobs to reach others for Christ we have to be relevant to everyone it is we are trying to reach.  That means different things in different cultures. In my own culture I find it is hard to be relevant because I don't own an iphone. Here I find it hard to be relevant because I own a phone at all. But in the midst of all this, the Lord reminds me that HE IS, WAS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE RELEVANT. 

To everyone.

Everywhere.


My job is to tell His story.

No comments:

Post a Comment