Wednesday, January 16, 2013

This Week In Hewa

This Week in Hewa

This week in Hewa I learned the hard way that you should always check your bra for spiders.

I also learned that just because the World Health Organization declares that a disease has been eradicated from the earth, doesn't mean that it actually has, and it doesn't mean that your husband won't get it (please google "yaws" for more information).

I learned that my previous thought that $7 a dozen is way too much money for eggs (yes, that is the price of eggs in PNG) was incorrect. I was really looking forward to raising my own chickens and not paying for eggs anymore when I got into the tribe. Little did I know that raising chickens in the jungle is really hard. There is no chicken feed to buy so you have to let them run all around the jungle to find bugs to eat and then supplement them with any leftovers you have. The problem with this is they then lay their eggs in the jungle and you have to go looking for them. They are almost always impossible to find.

My coworker, Susan, gave me 7 baby chicks to raise. We took them away from their mother pretty early so that they would get to know me, my house, and my chicken coup, and would want to stay here to lay eggs. After three weeks of feeding them, protecting them, and even bringing them into our house to sleep at night (they slept in a box in the loft bed with my two oldest daughters), a dog got into their cage outside and ate them all...well, all except one.

There was one little chick that survived. I have no idea how, so we named him Harry Potter, the chick who lived. A week later Harry Potter was eaten as well. The dog who must not be named is no longer welcome in the George's yard as you can imagine. So, Susan and my Hewa neighbors gave me some bigger chickens who can defend themselves, but they do not know me or my house and they keep going back to their original homes.

Well, this week, Susan noticed that one of my chickens was going to lay an egg in her coup, so we grabbed it and locked it in mine. It laid one egg, and we figured it would come back the next day to lay another, so we let it out. We figured wrong. It laid in Susan's coup. So, we locked it back in my coup for 3 days, but for 3 days it refused to lay any more eggs. So now, we have two eggs. We've been out of eggs since early December and there will be no helicopter in here for another month. And we have two eggs.

I am trying to decide what to do with these two precious treasures. Should we just eat them? But there are five of us...how do we split two eggs between five people? Should I make a cake? But, I am also out of flour. So, seriously, what do you do with two eggs? I am open to suggestions?

And when the helicopter comes in a month, I will be joyfully ordering eggs at $7 a dozen.

*P.S. Since our "facebook by email" updates aren't working and I can't post these updates there anymore I have noticed that most people have no idea that I am still writing this blog, so if anyone feels generous enough to post this on facebook for me, I would be eternally grateful.*

7 comments:

  1. ifttt.com
    This website will automatically post a link on your facebook when you have a new blogpost and its easy to set up. It may be useful for you. You have to have 'decent' internet to set it up though-just a thought might help. Thanks for updating, I love reading about this crazy journey God has you on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post it on mine! I love reading your blog! I love how it gives me a REAL picture of how life in the jungle might look. I don't want to have high expectations, you know? So keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I now have a greater appreciation for the eggs in the fridge. It's mind blowing to me the things (um, everything) that I take for granted. Hope the carnivorous dogs stay away and new chickens stay close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if you could get dried egg powder ever. At least for a future idea perhaps? I know we got given a whole box of the stuff and it was gross but really did work for baking. Maybe it could be a substitute for baking use at least?

    I love reading your blog. And I agree with Michelle- I think I have a greater appreciation for eggs too now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My poor son-in-law, as if he needs something else to cause pain in his bones and joints; and my poor grand-daughters. The girls must have been so sad about the chicks. I can't imagine they still love dogs like they once did. I continue to pray and ask prayer for your health, and for a loaves and fish kind of miracle in the food department.
    I love you,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessie, We raised chickens for years, I would suggest locking them for a day or so, then begin to let them out about an hour before dark, they should return to their "safe place" as it gets dark. Then lock it up at night. Also make sure you give them a place to roost at night as they like that. Don't give up, as they adjust they should lay 2 eggs a day which will help...also eventually if your friend has a rooster, you can raise some chicks too:) God bless girl...
    Marge McPeak (Shelby's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelby I will post this on my fb wall so all who read some of what it takes to reach a people group tucked in the jungles of PNG. Raising chickens in the states is so much easier then raising them in the jungle. Which is why you do not see the people in most villages raising them. I remember how snake would get them in Yembi Yembi. I applaud you for trying...actually I will pray as you settle into jungle living. It will be worth the seven dollars a dozen for eggs to hear the testemony of those precious people. It will be worth it all when you see Jesus too. (I am Tara Sutton mother) will pray for you and family.

    ReplyDelete