Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Number Four

Ok, so I told you I had internet/posting issues up here. Basically I write a post and push "publish" 10,000 times, and who knows what is going to pop up on the actual internet. For some reason the version that got published lacked number four in my list for house building advice. I have no idea where it went. I guess it is lost in the world wide web somewhere. Maybe it ended up on some other blog in some other universe...sorry too much Fringe. Anyway, here it is: (or something like it- I am trying to write it as I did originally, but can't remember exactly)

4. Building a house is like building a gigantic 3D jigsaw puzzle, but first you have to go on a scavenger hunt to find all the pieces. In America, when you build a house the plumber comes with all his pieces, the electrician with all his pieces, etc.* But here you are responsible for ALL the pieces. And some of those may not match up. Like if you buy a washing machine and stove in America and you have to find plumbing parts and gas lines in PNG...those pieces may not will not match up, so you have to get creative. You will also forget lots of little pieces because you are not a plumber and/or an electrician, so you really have no idea what you are getting anyway. Be sure to get lots of advice from people who actually know what they are doing in these areas. It will help a lot, but you will still forget stuff, so make sure you have friends in town that can buy stuff for you and put it on a flight at the last minute.

*I saw a thing on Pinterest that said the use of "etc." is just trying to convince people that you know more than you do. In this case that is 100% accurate as I am so ignorant on house building that I have no idea who else is involved other than plumbers and electricians. Thank you for understanding.*

1 comment:

  1. It has been so interesting reading all of your updates, your progress and thoughts on "tribal life," as you call it. It's fascinating and wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete