Friday, May 13, 2011

New life

We are truly enjoying our new life here. I have to admit, though, that everyone on base has been spoiling us. They have been feeding us for the last 3 days, so I haven't had to do any cooking or dishes. The real world starts today, though, so if I am hysterically crying in the next post, you will know why. We have been doing a little "work" like going to the market and getting our driver's licenses. FYI, all you need to get your driver's license in PNG is an American license even though they drive on the opposite side of the road here. We actually have the paperwork for our licenses, but not the actual license. When we went to take our pictures they told us they were out of film our friend and orientation consultant asked when they would be getting film and they answered, "We don't know." Nice. Anyway, here are some of the fun new things we have been doing...

Climbing trees

(Pretend you see a picture of my kids climbing trees)

Hanging laundry out to dry with a spectacular view

(pretend you can see me hanging out my laundry over looking the South Pacific)

Playing with weird animals

(pretend you see a cute, fuzzy, orange, marsupial here. If your imagination isn't that good, then you can google "cuscus")

And eating weird, but delicious fruit

(pretend there is a pic of tropical fruit here)

Ok, so wasn't that the most exciting post ever??? Sorry people. Blame blogger. Not me. In our new life we also get all new kinds of compliments. Our neighbor's kid said that we smell like America. Her mom very quickly told me that was a compliment. "It means your stuff smells new and not moldy", she told me. Nice! I doubt we will hear that for long, though. We have some friends and fellow classmates coming here soon, and I imagine by the time they arrive, we will be sniffing them to evoke a little memory of home. I guess that will be a sign that we have truly settled in and are becoming local! Ha ha! Anyway, hopefully soon, I can show you some pictures, so you will know that we are really here and aren't just hiding out in someone's basement or something. I promise we are here! We have the sweat stains to prove it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment